About the Pandemic- Covid 19
COVID-19 appeared in Wuhan, a city in China, in December 2019. China informed the World Health Organisation (WHO) on December 31, 2019, of a cluster of pneumonia cases of an unknown cause in Wuhan City in Hubei province. Subsequently the disease spread to more provinces of China and then to the rest of the world. The WHO has declared it a pandemic.
Coronaviruses are a type of virus that has been newly identified type and has caused a recent outbreak of respiratory illness now called COVID-19.
How does the new coronavirus spread?
The coronavirus is spread through droplets released into the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes. The droplets generally do not travel more than a few feet, and they fall to the ground (or onto surfaces) in a few seconds. So it’s important that you practice respiratory etiquette (for example, by coughing into a flexed elbow) and physical distancing is effective in preventing the spread.
What is the incubation period for COVID-19?
On average it takes 5–6 days from when someone is infected with the virus for symptoms to show, however it can take up to 14 days.
What are symptoms of COVID-19?
Most people infected with the COVID-19 virus will experience mild to moderate respiratory illness and recover without requiring special treatment. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, and cancer are more likely to develop serious illness. COVID-19 symptoms include:
Most common symptoms:
- dry cough.
Less common symptoms:
- aches and pains.
- sore throat.
- loss of taste or smell.
- a rash on skin, or discolouration of fingers or toes.
- difficulty breathing or shortness of breath.
- chest pain or pressure.
- loss of speech or movement.
Seek immediate medical attention if you have serious symptoms. Always call before visiting your doctor or health facility.
People with mild symptoms who are otherwise healthy should manage their symptoms at home.
How to prevent infection from spreading?
To prevent infection and to slow transmission of COVID-19, do the following:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, or clean them with alcohol-based hand rub.
- Maintain at least 1 meter distance between you and people coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- Refrain from smoking and other activities that weaken the lungs.
- Practice physical distancing by avoiding unnecessary travel and staying away from large groups of people.
For more information and details on Corona and Advisory you can check following links:-
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare- https://www.mohfw.gov.in/
- Ministry of Home Affairs- https://www.mha.gov.in/
- WHO website- https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus#tab=tab_1